Re: User interface suggestions

aferrer dit upm es (2000-10-04 at 1300.28 +0200):
> That's ok. But if some people love text-only-interfaces, other people love
> icon-only-interfaces... :). I personally love mixed-text-icon-interfaces,
> with icons as much as possible (for the menus too). Perhaps the hard point
> will be to classify the icons in groups/levels of importance for the user
> interface, so you'll be able to switch on or off each level to be shown
> (in the control center I think). If you switch off all levels, you'll get
> text-only-interface :).

Maybe some simple rules: menus, buttons, tool bars, panel, possibly I
forgot others, but not many. Nothing complex, something any user sees
and selects quickly. Like "Panel > Menu > Global menu" list of things,
it allows you to put things in menu, submenu or turn them off, but for
icon, text or icon and text.

> > The about info box becomes less readable with the gradient,
> Perhaps a bit less, but it's much more nice, don´t you think? :) I made
> the "about" suggestion mainly to change the ¿boring? original design, but
> maintaining part of the style...

Some people like themes with rock textures and others want plain,
simple color ones. The gradient will not fit my theme 100% for example
(not nice in my case). So what color will be used for it? A fixed one?
One based in the theme?  What if the theme is pixmap based (where do
you get the color)?

I would leave all those details to themes. Even current box looks bad
in some cases. Imagine current green box with red desktop (GTK theme,
Sawfish theme and desktop background in red shades), it does not match
at all. Your gradient one will collide with other themes too. Allowing
skins, and then breaking them with some widgets is not what I would
say good, there is no way to get a perfectly matched look.

> Thanks for your comments...

A mandar. ;]

GSR