Re: needed feature

----- Original Message -----
From: Cole Petersburg <petersburg@oneota.net>
To: Ben FrantzDale <frantb@rpi.edu>
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2000 3:51 AM
Subject: Re: needed feature

> >Some of this depends on your windowmanager. With enlightenment the
default
> >iconify command is ctrl+alt+i and in gnome apps I believe ctrl+q closes
> >(though you can set it up through your WM to be alt+F4 or whatever else
you
> >want.)
>
> Ah thanks, I can use that. And what about mapping programs onto ctrl-alt
> combinations?

Depends on your WM. With Enlightenment if you have the old e-conf tool it's
easy to set up. You can also grab the more recent keybindings tool that
Mandrake worked on(mandrake.net).  You can set all sorts of keybord
combinations to do just about anything with E including starting other
programs.

> With that I just may be able to use Linux again.

Oh good.

> And the desktop, is there no way to get to that?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean using the keybord to change focus to
the desktop then it depends on your WM again. I'm not sure quite how you'd
do that with Enlightnement (though you can't really do it with Windows
anyway.)

> Oh and how does Gnome work? If there's the X server beneath and the WM
> above, Gnome is widgets and programs?

Gnome is a set of libraries, etc. that make for a desktop envirnment and
that allow programers to more easily code programs that will fit nicely into
that envirnment.

> >For the large part, yes. I agree, though, that gnome should be working
> >harder to be keyboard navigable like Windows (and KDE I think) is. Most
> >gnome apps do have an underlined letter on each menu item for alt+letter
> >access the menu but you are right, a Windows level of keyboard
navigability
> >is needed and not there yet.
> >
> >--Ben
>
> There's something about using arrow keys that makes more sense than
> memorizing key combinations. It's like a computer game.

Hehe.. That's one way to think about it I guess... I think the long and
short of it is that better keybord navigation is coming. But again, I agree
that more needs to be done.

--Ben

> At 03:47 AM 5/13/00 -0400, you wrote:

Windows.