Re: User interface suggestions

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 08:33:23PM +0100, Jörg Rathlev wrote:
> > > Or like the Windows "quick start area" in the task bar. This is a great
> > > feature, I use it all the time to start Internet Explorer very
> > quickly and
> > > have some of my other commonly used apps in there. But it wouldn't work
> > > without easily recognizable icons...
> >
> > Oddly, GNOME already has a UI component allowing quick, one-click
> > access to a user-defined set of applications, customisable via
> > drag-n-drop. It's called the Panel.
>
> Hmmm, I think I've heard of that :-)
>
> The problem is that many of the GNOME icons are simply not deisgned to be
> used at smaller sizes, and since I prefer to display my taskbar/panel at a
> small height, using it as a quickstart place doesn't work very well.

The way Windows and Mac get around this, of course, is that an "icon"
resource has multiple sizes and colour-depths inside it. GNOME, for
the most part, just uses .png files. It would be nice if some gallant
soul were to invent a nice new icon format for GNOME, preferably by
bundling .png files in an automated fashion, and hacking support for
it into GNOME..

> Copying the style of the GNOME icons is another problem - I wonder whether
> Apple will experience the same problem with the photorealistic icons of
> MacOS X...

I bet they will, I bet they will.. but on the other hand, theres a lot
of nice icons already copying the photorealistic style of NeXT..

--