Re: User interface suggestions

thristian atdot org (2000-12-02 at 1234.16 +1100):
> the most part, just uses .png files. It would be nice if some gallant
> soul were to invent a nice new icon format for GNOME, preferably by
> bundling .png files in an automated fashion, and hacking support for
> it into GNOME..

Tar. You do not need to invent anything if you can, just reuse. Like
Gimp using gzip or bzip2 to compress its own file format (foo.xcf.bz2)
or Sawfish using tar and gzip for themes (foo.tar.gz). It could be
easily understable, both by software and by people, and you do not
need to compress (recompress PNGs? really a difference?).

I would only name it specially, foo.iconpack.tar or foo-iconpack.tar
so you know what it is, but not foo.iconpack, I do not want another
".ethemes are .tgz" talk with users if avoidable... and that way
people will see icons are not magic, they already think too much about
magic & computers.

GSR