Re: EPS icons

"Blad, John Erling" wrote:

> >I use gnome-cam to show some webcam photos and a weather radar make on
> >one of my panels, and I think the radar map (and I think this would
> >work good with Tigert/Tigertish icons) would look better small if the
> >contrast was first turned up some... That way, more of the county division
> >lines and city names would appear a little more clearly.
>
> What I was thinking about is something like "do an edge detection and
> increase/decrease the weight for the dominant area if the surrounding
> area is dominantly different/similar"
>
> This should emphasize overall edges and let clean colors surviwe..
> Perhaps I turned it around.. ;)

I think the problem with both your solutions is that they change the
image, maybe just a better sampling algorithm would help. In the gimp,
both the bi-linear and bi-cubic sampling techniques look better
(clearer, less blurred) than the technique used by gnome (I believe it
is averaging). It wouldn't be that hard to extract the scalling code
used in the gimp, and use it in gnome.

Mark