Re: Copy-Paste between filemanager and document editor

Liam Quin wrote:
> I agree.  One alternative would be to have a "drag mode" in which, once
> the drag is started, you can let go, and must click again (tap with a
> figure or make some other clear gesture) to do the drop.  Buttons on the
> screen saying drop here / cancel, and maybe clone / move, might help,
> at least as an option.

Brilliant! But buttons will run into problems e.g. with text areas.
There are too many places to insert the object (between every
character). Instead there could be "drop areas" which are somehow
highlighted and a tooltip in the area telling the function (insert, copy
here, etc). Cancel-button is a good idea! If the drop area supports
multiple modes a popup menu could appear after the location is
indicated.

In the popup-menu of the source object there could be an option: "Drag
to..." or the cursor could show a dragging symbol when placed over
source object (although this doesn't work with touchscreen).

> What I had intended to say, though, was that it is not clear to the
> user that this is possible.  There is no visual affordance, as they
> say, nothing to click on, nothing to show that you can do these things.

I agree. Although DnD is very handy, nobody learns to use it!

	Heikki