Re: First UI component needing replacement.

Christian Rose wrote:
> > I cannot think of many (any?) situations in recent memory where I've had to
> > open multiple files.  If I have, I think I would just open a file manager,
> > highlight the files, and hit enter and watch *it* do all the opening work.
>
> Consider I have downloaded lots of desktop pictures, and want to browse
> them in ee. Repeating the "open file" task for every picture is not
> something you want to do 15 times in a row.

I think that'd be a special case.  Obviously a program designed to work with
pictures would not use a filename oriented common file dialog, because it is
the special case of a graphical data manipulation program.  Trying to shoe
horn that into the common file dialog, which is designed for text-filename
work, would be preposterous.  Something like the dialog that comes up when
you browse for an icon in the menueditor would be far, far more apropos for
that kind of program.  If this kind of graphical operation is as common as
you say, perhaps we should wizard one up as a common dialog for use by menu
edit, panel launcher picture choosing, etc.  The current one rather sucks
because it doesn't remember its position or size, resizes itself to a tiny
window (even after I make it larger while it's attempting to load), and is
completely ignorant of the mouse wheel (perhaps it's not using GTK+
properly).

--
    www.kuro5hin.org -- technology and culture, from the trenches.