Re: First UI component needing replacement.

Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm assuming that the open files dialog should be similar to the save
> file dialog.  This said, I'm concerned that the new save file dialog
> would limit the range of the open file dialog.

A valid point.

> One of the most frustrating limits currently in (almost??) every file
> open dialog I've seen is the limitation placed on opening multiple
> files.  You are always limited to multiple files in the current
> directory.

I cannot think of many (any?) situations in recent memory where I've had to
open multiple files.  If I have, I think I would just open a file manager,
highlight the files, and hit enter and watch *it* do all the opening work.

> Should we consider merging the tree style pane (which I think is very
> nice) with the file pane to create a system where multiple files from
> different directories can be opened.  When saving, you would simply
> select the directory you wish to save to and off you go.

Save all to this directory?  That sounds like an application level
modification (it'd still have to prompt for names for those that don't have
names).

> If I'm not making myself clear (I don't think I am yet ;-] ) the best
> example I can think of is the ftp mode in the new mozilla.  So, if you
> can, check it out.  When you ftp a site it displays a list of
> directories at the ftp site.  If you click once on a directory, it opens
> the directory displaying the contents.  If you double click the
> directory, it makes that directory the new foundation for the tree
> view.  You can open multiple directories in a single window viewing the
> contents of all directories at the same time.  It's quite a nicely
> thought out system, which (could) allow you to select multiple files to
> open, and also would make sense when saving files to.  It involves a
> single pane view (instead of one for tree and one for a single
> directory) and whilst it would be different to what we are used to, it
> has some distinct advantages.

Yes, but is that really what we need?  99% of file operations with the
common file dialog are opening ONE file, or saving to ONE directory.  I'd
rather not spend 80% of my time working to support a 1% special case, thanks
:)

> This would also create a single, consistent view for all actions
> involving files (saving or opening) and would make navigation throught
> the file system simpler as you wouldn't need to switch between panes so
> much.

I'm not convinced that this could be done easily, if at all.  Nor am I
convinced that it even makes sense.  Sorry :(

--
    www.kuro5hin.org -- technology and culture, from the trenches.