Re: First UI component needing replacement.

"Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" wrote:
> Yes, the son of Motif must die. But some things you propose too, I
> will not call it proper. For example, Close? Close and what? Close
> opening selected files? Better Cancel (is that a Macism? I dunno, but
> I like it... aslo tie it to Esc key). Is there tab completion? I hope
> so, I can live without it, and most people I know once they learn that
> they can save typing or clicking.

I think that is the best explanation I have seen for a cancel button on the
main dialog.  Obviously it should be tied to the equivelant of the cancel
key on the keyboard :-)  But it should be made obvious somehow that
cancelling in the main dialog does not reverse file operations done while it
was open (like new dir, etc).

Based on your reasoning, I would be willing to accept OK/CANCEL on a top
level dialog.  Thank you for giving a reason, instead of "Just because
others do it that way" ...  As long as we can enforce a strong separation
between the other sub functions (newdir, rename) and their cancel
operations, it should work.

--
    www.kuro5hin.org -- technology and culture, from the trenches.