Re: Menus

7-Nov-98 11:04 you wrote:
> Khimenko Victor <gnome-gui@khim.sch57.msk.ru> wrote:
>> > I remember it was suggested on this list and greeted with a lot of "yes". I
>> > sincerely hope someone is working on this already. it's probably a gtk issue
>> > anyways.
>>
>> Hm. It's interesting question to whick library it belongs: to GTK or to
>> gnome-libs... Anyway this will lead to significat change in API...

> whoops? why should the api change one bit? there's just a rip-off line added
> to the top of each open menu and clicking on that makes the transient window
> into a full-blown one, window decorations and control by window manager and
> all that. I don't know much X programming, but looks like two or three dozen
> lines of code to me.

You'll need at least name each menu do to this. Of course it's possible to do
tearable menus with possibility to tear them each time from standard position
(not useable approach at all IMO). But if you want to store information about
menus then you'll need NAME for each menu (at least). May be more: if you have
two toolbars initially and add two new toolbars via "on-screen editing" then how
this will be stored in layout... As windows-programmer I'm well understood which
tricks could be used to keep existing API in place but WHY ? Why use dirty hacks
to keep API if GNOME is not even in beta-stage for now ?

>> No. Not configuration files. TEMPLATE files.
> ok. I guess "dot" stands for "dumb old template". :)

:-))) BTW usually Winword users does not use .DOT files at all :-)) Even if you
could make style file, type text with usage of styles and then change style with
just few mouse clicks usually text is typed without styles usage, format is
hardcoded in document and could not be easily changed!

If you build something that any idiot can use, any idiot will.