Re: A Proposal For The Addition Of Color-Reactiveness To The GNOME Desktop

> nonono.. not what i meant.. the application ets a hint on its window
> "i'm idle" beofr eit goes into its idel loop or when it starts
> processing schanges the hint to "i'm busy" if tid wousloding as it goes
> ti changes the hints to be "0%" "10%" "20%" etc... the widnow manager
> will get an event every time these hints change.. ti sees a new app
> state hint. it hen looks upt its own list of whihc icon matches that
> hint number  (lets say 0 is clean, 1 is idel, 2 is busy, 3 is
> downloading etc..) and thu all "busy" apps display the same busy
> icon... all "idel": apps dsiplay the same idle icon. you have perfect
> consistency. :)

Ahhhhh, okay. I see. Yeah, I can agree with that.. But i'd still prefer to
keep things purely color-oriented, instead of having different icon
"looks". A lamp is a lamp is a lamp, in my book, but I will admit there is
an added degree of flexibility with your spin on it.

> ->
> ->  Well, to me, i'm a stickler for efficiency. A feature must justify its own
> ->  presence by providing information which makes any CPU penality worth it.
> ->  The addition of color-reactiveness to GNOME would easilly, easilly justify
> ->  its inclusion on sheer coolness, let alone the fact that its actually
> ->  conveying useful information to the user. :)
>
> Well it'll be in Enlightenment 0.14 - code is alreday sitting there..
>:)  E read the hints currently.. doesnty do anythgin about them.. but
> reads them.. :) gime a few days and it will be able to displayt he
> state icon on the window border.. i have a mountian of other things I
> have to do tho in the meantime.. its just on the list :)

Great! Feel free to use the Appendix B materials if you need some Lamps to
experiment with. Thats what theyre there for. :)

Bowie J. Poag