Re: fullscreen dockable apps?

On 24 Mar, vertigo shouted:
->  Hi,
->
->  I have a little question/suggestion. I don't know if i'm saying something
->  stupid or inappropriate since i'm not a gui-developer but merely a
->  potential end-user :)
->
->  I was wondering if Gnome has/could have something like fullscreen dockable
->  applications.
->
->  When you aximize certain applications in Win95 or NT, they sort of
->  completely dock on your desktop, making them totally fullscreen.
->  It's a functionality i have really missed in X11 when i started paying
->  attention to Linux. Maximizing a window in X11 doesn't feel the same, you
->  still see the edges of the windows, and you're still able to move the
->  window around, etc etc..
->
->  In win95 it really "clicks" solidly (sp?) in place, which in my opinion,
->  works for some application types a lot better then all the toolbars and
->  windows floating around on the avarage X desktop. If a similar feature
->  would become available in Gnome it'd be pretty cool imho. I don't know the
->  technical implications of such a thing though, it's just a suggestion from
->  an end-user perspective for a feature that i would really like to see :)

This, I blieve is completely up to your window manager and it's
placement and managemnt policies. different WM's have different
policies. most wm's don't do it the window's way as most unix/X users
don't run 640x480 and thu odnt have to maximise and "flip" apps - they
can have most of them visible at once... this is a result of X-Windows
originating in the Workstation market where hardware alsways did high
resolutions...

->  Greetings,
->  Floris Kunert
->
->
->  | Floris Kunert, aka Vertigo/Dementia. Linux & Demo freak.          |
->  | Sysop of Alumina, 3 node demoscene board in Holland, since 1993.  |
->  | email: predator@xs4all.nl www: http://alumina.universation.net    |
->
->

--