fullscreen dockable apps?

Hi,

I have a little question/suggestion. I don't know if i'm saying something
stupid or inappropriate since i'm not a gui-developer but merely a
potential end-user :)

I was wondering if Gnome has/could have something like fullscreen dockable
applications.

When you aximize certain applications in Win95 or NT, they sort of
completely dock on your desktop, making them totally fullscreen.
It's a functionality i have really missed in X11 when i started paying
attention to Linux. Maximizing a window in X11 doesn't feel the same, you
still see the edges of the windows, and you're still able to move the
window around, etc etc..

In win95 it really "clicks" solidly (sp?) in place, which in my opinion,
works for some application types a lot better then all the toolbars and
windows floating around on the avarage X desktop. If a similar feature
would become available in Gnome it'd be pretty cool imho. I don't know the
technical implications of such a thing though, it's just a suggestion from
an end-user perspective for a feature that i would really like to see :)

Greetings,
Floris Kunert

| Floris Kunert, aka Vertigo/Dementia. Linux & Demo freak.          |
| Sysop of Alumina, 3 node demoscene board in Holland, since 1993.  |
| email: predator@xs4all.nl www: http://alumina.universation.net    |