Re: thinking outside the box (or, stealing the _really_ good ideas)

"Carl E. Thompson" <carlt@cc64317-a.hwrd1.md.home.com> wrote:
> helped countless business and home computer users try Linux and configure
> it to meet their needs, but I have never met or heard of a new Linux user
> who didn't already know how to use DOS/Windows or Mac OS.

the nitpicking first: you have heard now. my sister never owned a computer
before...

now for the more serious part:

> Finally, I really think the Gnome developers ought to recruit volunteers
> from the potential new Linux users community (translated as Windows and
> Mac users) and put them "in charge" of the look-and-feel of the UI.  If
> they say "Gee, that widget should be over there and do xyz because that's
> what we're comfortable with in Windows" then the Gnome developers need
> to listen.

listen, yes. follow like lemmings? no.

I do not think we should copy mistakes just because people became used to
them. we also have to think about the future. if something is really broken,
we should try to help future users get rid of it instead of entreching it
even further.

I agree that people shouldn't have to relearn much. but learning a GOOD
new interface is very easy. the problem is the "good".

> The major problem with development of free projects is that
> the developers are not answerable to anyone but themselves, and a
> developers concept of an easy to use, intuitive, and elegant UI does not
> generally match that of the average user.

that's why we're here. :)

I strongly recommend anyone involved here to go out and look for the vast
amount of information on user interfaces (good and bad) available on the
net. also, if you happen to know professionals (screen designers and such),
talk to them.

> PS: Gnome needs a default window manager.  The current situation is
>     confusing.

again, I disagree. gnome needs suggested default configurations for at least
three wm's. something like "if you're running afterstep and want gnome to
change your current configuration to fit to gnome better, click _here_ (your
current configuration will be backed up)".

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.