Re: thinking outside the box (or, stealing the _really_ good ideas)

Gnome developers, please read this and let me know what you think!

(See end of message for quote from sun's message, to which this
responds.)

I don't think it is a good idea to make the menus for Gnome programs
different from those on Windows and the Mac OS.  While I agree that
these ideas would make leaning easier for a new computer user, Gnome
isn't for new computer users; it's for new Linux users.  The vast
majority of new Linux users already have used Windows or Mac OS, so
I think it makes sense to leverage what those users already know to
make sure their transition to Linux is a easy as possible.  While we
_could_ make a new menu structure that is more intuitive than the defacto
standard, I submit that doing so will actually make it harder for new
Linux users to stay new Linux users.  I have been using Linux for some
years now and pushing for its acceptance in the corporate world.  I have
helped countless business and home computer users try Linux and configure
it to meet their needs, but I have never met or heard of a new Linux user
who didn't already know how to use DOS/Windows or Mac OS.  Why make all
of these people relearn the basics?  From my experience, I believe that
if we change something as fundamental as where the "Quit" or "Exit"
option is located, we are going to lose converts.  It's hard enough to
help a new user learn how to use the Linux OS itself, we don't need to
make them relearn how to use their applications too!

My point is that the Gnome developers need to take a step back and ask
themselves when they incorporate new concepts like this the question
"Who does this make it easier for?"  The three possible answers are:

  1. Strong Un*x users such as the developers themselves who already
     know how to tweak their environment and can easily adapt to new,
     "better" methods of working.
  2. Currently non-existant new computer users who install Linux as their
     first OS and have never used another before.
  3. The majority of new Linux users who already know that "Print" and
     "Exit" _should_ be under the "File" menu because Microsoft and Apple
     have told them so.

Obviously, I believe that Gnome's features should geared at least 70% to
the third group.  They're the ones who need Gnome's help, they're the
ones which Linux needs, and they're the ones who will drive Linux to
world domination.

Finally, I really think the Gnome developers ought to recruit volunteers
from the potential new Linux users community (translated as Windows and
Mac users) and put them "in charge" of the look-and-feel of the UI.  If
they say "Gee, that widget should be over there and do xyz because that's
what we're comfortable with in Windows" then the Gnome developers need
to listen.  The major problem with development of free projects is that
the developers are not answerable to anyone but themselves, and a
developers concept of an easy to use, intuitive, and elegant UI does not
generally match that of the average user.  My understanding is that the
Gnome project is about making Linux more approachable for the average new
user.

Of course, all of this only applies to the default setup, users should
be free to customize as much as they like (within reason).

Truthfully, I shouldn't be talking because I have not found the time to
be more active developing software for Linux the last couple of years,
but hopefully that will change in the very near future and I'll be able
to contribute starting with the Gnome project.  (Maybe someone could
write a decent tutorial or manual for GTK--?)  Just so you know, though,
I am a professional Unix developer and administrator and run Linux for
just about everything.  I only touch Windows for games!

Please feel free to flame me for telling you how to run your project.

Later,
Carl Everard Thompson

PS: Gnome needs a default window manager.  The current situation is
    confusing.