Window Managers and GNOME

Regarding GNOME and Window Managers, I accept that one of the greatest
strengths of Unix is the ability to use so many different window managers,
and I accept that GNOME must keep this.  But, still, having to specially
configure Windowmaker to leave off components redundant with GNOME is quite
silly.

I spoke, in my scriptability post, that there should be some form of
internalized interface that other user applications could use to control a
specific program.  I don't see any reason why GNOME itself shouldn't
practice what it preaches.  I think, and I'm looking for feedback, that
compliant window managers should, through a predefined interface to be
defined, be able to access, replace, reprogram, and generally control the
GNOME UI.