Re: Oh yeah...apropos/web/tabbing in GNOME

-----Original Message-----
From: Pablo Saratxaga <pablo.sarachaga@ping.be>
To: Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com>
Date: Saturday, July 25, 1998 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: Oh yeah...apropos/web/tabbing in GNOME

>Kaixo !

> > download
>
> > HTML source is available 100% of the time.  That's what I'm referring
to.

>But looking at the source html over the network can be *very* slow.
>The tab completion will be totally useless if it takes more than one or
>two seconds to achieve or propose the various possibilities.
>So the tab completion must not go and look on a page elsewhere; it must
>only use locally available information.
>
>Think that Gnome will be used by people not using T1 connections.

I am thinking that.  Webtabbing is *much* faster than loading a full web
page in Netscape, looking around for the appropriate text, and clicking it.

Think of the alternative, not compared to local file access but to the
fastest possible remote.

> > It's a toy, yes, but a decent one.
>
>A very useful one (I use tab completion all the time on the shell), but
>it must be responsive, if it takes too long to give an answer it won't
>be used and will be wasted time and efforts.

Well, obviously if you press tab after typing
http://www.best.com/~effugas/si , it's not going to *compete* with either a
locally available web page nor the file system.  It's perfectly logical for
it to get the source code of http://www.best.com/~effugas/index.html (the
automatically redirected file) and parse for a "si" link, which would be
http://www.best.com/~effugas/silc .