Re: To answer your question about the upcoming Style-Guide...

On Fri, Jul 24, 1998 at 11:43:48AM +0200, Preben Randhol wrote:
> | it already is implemented ... I can't see why people call it the start
> | menu though .. it's just a menu ... if it was a popup on root it would
> | most likely take some serious cooperation with the windowmanager ...
>
> No I don't suggest to make a new popup menu but the one that the
> windowmanager provides.

the gnome menu wants interaction with the panel .. therefore it rules out
having it only in the wm ... plus gnome is supposed to run under any wm
and there are wms out there that don't provide menus .. and most of
them most likely won't read gnome's menus

> | plust noone is taking that away ... the window manager could just read
> | gnome menus and you'd have it both on the panel and on root menu ..
> | and you can always remove the menu applet
>
> The panel is ok, but I don't like the idea of a start menu like win95

it's not a "start" button ...

there is really no other place to put a menu on the panel then onto a
button ... just because it starts on a similiar spot as 95's one
doesn't mean anything ...

people keep forgetting that 1st just because something was made by
microsoft doesn't mean it's inherently evil and unusable in all other
"good" projects, 2nd the menu, startbutton, whatever you call it
has existed long long long before windows ... most notably the mac
(apple menu)

> | I would like to know what sounds like an MS product? ... as far as I know
> | most gnome guys either don't know or don't really enjoy windows look/feel
> | ... (except for miguel who seems to be obsessed with excel:) ... I don't
> | even know how to use win95 ... (well I can shut it down to get a lilo
> | prompt on some of our workstations, but that's about where my win95
> | knowledge ends)
>
> Making voiced tours, wizards etc...

ahh ... well .. I'm not doing those ... if someone wants to go right ahead,
I don't think they would be terribly usefull ... but to tell you the truth
I've never even seen one of those ...

otherwise .. I don't see any tendency in gnome to have stuff like that ...
we seem to concentrate on functionality rather then dancing paperclips (I
heard that's what word does and that it's really annoying ... however
I haven't even seen word in years ...)

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: