Re: 'About' versus 'About...'

Justin Ross wrote:

> >> That's already in the style guide:
> >>
> >>    'Menu items that open dialogs or require additional user
> information
> >>     should indicate it with a "..." after the label. For example, the
> >>     "About" menu entry in the "Help" menu should actually look like
> >>     "About...".  '
> >
> >my foot's in my mouth then. :) okay, so it's been a while since i've
> >read that style guide already. i'll do better next time.
>
> I'm not sure you need to put your foot there.  I seem to recall from
> perusing the Interface Hall of Shame or some such site that the '...'
> means 'more info needed' or in other words 'further user interaction
> required'.  So, if 'About Communicator' calls up an about screen but
> prompts me for nothing, then it should be as it is: without the '...'.
>
> Perhaps the style guide needs tweaking in this.

in fact, this one inconsistency is where apple broke their own rule. the
first choice in the apple menu under the finder reads "about this
computer..." (was "about this macintosh..." before they licensed the
os), although no data can be input there.

anyone disagree that this change should be made? i for one am in
agreement.

--
"Whoever saves one life saves the whole world in time." --Talmud