The person in charge of authoring V2 of the Gnome Style Guide is....

I am, apparently. Quartic asked that I head up the project about 3 weeks
ago, and I accepted. I've been working quietly on the groundwork of it
since then.

Im in the process of planning a series of IRC conferences (and CGI
questionairres to go along with them) to help gauge the public opinion
regarding the overall form of the style guide. Stay tuned for that --
Things should start bubbling in a week or so.

In the meantime, i've been watching the discussion threads here on the
mailing lists, and examining a few ideas in closer detail.