Re: Revisiting App Menu

Benoît Garrigues wrote:

> Preben Randhol wrote:
> > * "Berin Loritsch" <BERIN.LORITSCH@cpmx.saic.com
> > | The bottom line is, we want to emulate good GUI, and not bad GUI.  If
> intuitiveness for users that immigrants (not native un*x users).
> >
> >  ---------------------
> >  | Gnome  File  Help |
> >  -|-----|-------------
> >   |     --------
> >   |Preferences |
> >   |About       |
> >   |Exit        |
> >   |------------|
> >

> > You propose something like this right? I think this is a good solution
> > personally.
> >

> i agree, but for the names :
>
> "Gnome" = "App" or "Application"
> "File" => "Document" (like OpenStep??) which is more generic.
>
>I think this is a good way to solve the
> Preference/Properties/Options/Settings problem.

   As always, I'm out in left field but, how about this:
|   File   |   Edit   |whatever|   GnomeApp   |
|   New    ||  Cut    ||        ||    Help    |
|   Open   ||  Copy   ||        || Preferences|
|   Save   ||  Paste  ||        ||   About    |
|  Save As ||  Etc..  ||        ||  Exit/Quit |
|Properties|

   Ok, it's uncoventional but it's also intuitive.  I mean, how many
'Bad Things' have been written about the conventional GUI!?  The only
'Bad Thing'(maybe) I see is that Help is not a top-level item.  We can
still use MS ->? button for conext-sensitive help.  Moving two
menu-items can't have a very steep learning curve.  We can't be afraid
to set a standard here if it is a step forward.

as always
--
Tim
-----