Re: Activate Scroll Key - More on mice/clicks/scrolls...

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 04:42:03PM -0400, Tim Moore wrote:
> modes, but more general. It would be X-wide, not just GNOME-wide -- at
> least for the the buttons which non-GNOME apps would understand (1 through
> 3 for sure, sometimes 4 & 5 for wheeled mouse support).

If we make it X wide we would have to patch X (more structural but not
easier....) and then would leave the scope from GNOME. Within gtk (I think)
we can reassign buttons (and can make it a compliancy level for non gtk
GNOME apps).

> Of course, I'm assuming that X allows for this sort of thing. Perhaps
> someone with more knowledge can interject.

It's primarily a matter of how applications interpret mouse button events.
Not how X supplies them. (I'm no X guru so if I'm wrong correct me..) Thus
the change would have to be in the application (or widget set).

> I would consider games of this sort to be totally separate and unrelated
> to GNOME. The mouse controls for games should be configured independently
> within each game.

Was just an example :)... but on the point of picture viewers zoom under a
wheel could be cool. A bit depending on the game imho... If GNOME supports
such a standard way/API for customizing the mouse why wouldn't a game
programmer use it? (was thinking along the lines of the gnome games btw...)
Is it not inconsistent if a gui standard would require games complying to
the gui standard to do something different as the other apps? (correct me
if I misunderstood :) )

Ric
- Ric Klaren - ia_ric@cs.utwente.nl ------- klaren@cs.utwente.nl --------------
'And this 'rebooting' business? Give it a good kicking, do you?' 'Oh, no,
 of course, we ... that is ... well, yes, in fact,' said Ponder. 'Adrian
   goes round the back and ... er ... prods it with his foot. But in a
    technical way,' he added. --- From: Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.

PGP signature