Re: Activate Scroll Key - More on mice/clicks/scrolls...

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Ric Klaren wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 1998 at 06:34:41PM -0400, Tim Moore wrote:
> > The fun part is that you get to map these to your physical mouse buttons
> > any way you want. And there could even be saved "sets" which can be chosen
> > from and imported/exported.
>
> This would be something that should be configured gnome wide. And probably
> a override option at the application level. Would take (I gues) some
> changes in gtk and guidelines/hints (whatever) for WM's that advertise
> gnome compliancy.
>
> This would lead to something of:

[ proposal snipped ]

> Could be overkill too.

I think so. I had a simpler scheme in mind.

In all GNOME/GTK apps:
Mouse-1 is interpreted as the primary button.
Mouse-2 is interpreted as the paste button.
Mouse-3 is interpreted as the context menu button.
Mouse-4 is interpreted as the scroll up button.
Mouse-5 is interpreted as the scroll down button.
Mouse-6 is interpreted as the drag-to-scroll button.
.
.
.

Then you could use the mouse-properties program to assign the logical
buttons to physical buttons. So my three button mouse could be assigned
"Primary | Drag Scroll | Context Menu" which would mean that my left
button would generate mouse-1 events, my right button would generate
mouse-3 events, and my middle button would generate *mouse-6* (or
whatever) events. It's the same principle as left-handed vs. right-handed
modes, but more general. It would be X-wide, not just GNOME-wide -- at
least for the the buttons which non-GNOME apps would understand (1 through
3 for sure, sometimes 4 & 5 for wheeled mouse support).

Of course, I'm assuming that X allows for this sort of thing. Perhaps
someone with more knowledge can interject.

> A game for instance a flight simulator might add a action like:
>
> Zoom  (would be handy for some wordprocessors/picture viewers too)
> Increase Zoom factor
> Decrease Zoom factor
>
> The user could then bind these to the buttons of his liking.... During
> install of the app or the first use of an app a user would get some message
> that he/she might want to change some mouse bindings...

I would consider games of this sort to be totally separate and unrelated
to GNOME. The mouse controls for games should be configured independently
within each game.

Tim Moore