GNOME Total Interface Style Guide

Before I respond to some of the statements which Tom has made, I have
decided that, yes, an *application level* style guide should not define
segments of the total interface.  Because of this, I'm starting up a Total
Interface style guide.  This will contain those suggestions that the group
seems to agree would be good for the GNOME authors, as opposed to GNOME App
writers, to adhere to.  Code that we believe should be handled by libraries
should go into the TISG.  Code that we believe authors should write should
go into the GUIG and UISG.  This should lower the demand on application
writers while increasing the quality of the entire GNOME interface.

The following are examples of issues I believe the TISG will cover:

1)  Panel contents(the GUIG and UISG would refer to how to link to the
panel)
2)  GC2 level system design specs(ability to multitask, ability to change
without reboot)
3)  Keyboxes
4)  Maybe cluehunting--depends on the sample implementations
5)  Launcher patterns.  The UISG/GUIG would define how the app author would
provide GNOME with the .lsm information, and the TISG would provide the
standard method to deal with this information.

By GNOME authors, I'm referring to both those who write GNOME and those who
write GNOME WM's.

How does this sound?  I'm not doing this over gnome-gui's dead body.
However, Gnome-GUI is not Gnome-App-GUI, and these aren't two competing
projects--just two documents created for two different audiences.