Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Notification Sample Length Standardization

-----Original Message-----
From: Bowie Poag <bjp@primenet.com>
To: Ric Klaren <ia_ric@cs.utwente.nl>
Cc: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>; Tom Vogt
<tom@lemuria.org>
Date: Thursday, August 13, 1998 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: UISG Notification Sample Length Standardization

>The proposal governs the default set of sound samples employed by the
>application. In order to remain compliant, these samples cant be longer
>than 2 seconds. Tacky-proof insurance. :) However, the application could
>also include other samples of any length the author wants, and you can
>(yourself) use samples longer than 2 seconds.
>
>Think of it like cars leaving a factory. We're proposing that no car
>leaves our factory with a "mauve" paintjob. If you want mauve, you do it
>yourself, after you get the car. :)

Bowie:

Two seconds is too little.  On my Starcraft to South Park TC, I have some
samples that are three and four second, and they fit wonderfully.  Any
longer and they start to get annoying.

I know where you are getting at--my GF has a 20 second sample of her niece,
and she HATES it when it goes off 5 times in a row.  But 2 seconds isn't
enough.  4 or 5 seconds, with a 3 second preferrable, is good.