Re: Random thought...

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Thursday, August 13, 1998 11:47 AM
Subject: Re: Random thought...

>Dan Effugas Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
>> >just two comments: a) you CAN assume everyone has at least 3 buttons.
for
>> >those that don't, there's always emulation in xfree86.
>>
>> OK, remember our target audience, I'd say 5-10% have three button
mouses...

>ehm - I thought a while ago we discussed the problem wiht "target
audience"?
>:)

Yeah, but that was before I got jawdrop reactions from users when I said
"People on the gnome list think compatibility with other interfaces is too
stupid to argue about".  ;-)

We have an audience.  We have *users*.  Pragmatism, man.  That's *why* Linux
is growing.  Ignore and diez!

>> This means that we're designing for the emu people.  So--is it usable to
>> "chord" rightclick-then-leftclick?  Maybe.  This still isn't assuming 3
>> buttons...cuz we can't assume leftclick-then-middleclick and
>> rightclick-then-middleclick exist.
>
>3-button emulation isn't a problem. you just click right between them two
>and unless  you have REALLY small fingers  and/or a really bad mouse, both
>buttons will go down.

This isn't the same as having three buttons.  Think about what would happen
in a game if you attempt to emulate the middle button like this...won't
work.

Point is, the best you ever get is like 2.5 buttons...I don't mind this...I
DO mind when critical functionality's best access point becomes the middle
button.  Right click is critical, move/paste/etc. isn't.  Removing the
scroll bars WOULD make the middle button critical, btw.