some whitespace 'rules of thumb'?

>menu bars.  Many GTK apps use too little whitespace, like using too
>small interior padding in buttons.

Yes.  A while back I proposed (maybe naively) that we adapt something
like the em and en spaces from the typography world and use these to
define the spacing of widget elements.  An 'em' would be a value
proportional to the size of the font used.  I've thought about this some
more, and I'll bet this would require quite a lot of work.  Wouldn't be
great, though?

At any rate, we could use some guidelines for the spacing of gnome
widgets.  These should be very flexible, so perhaps it's better to call
them rules of thumb.  These should be things like 5 px padding inside
and outside the group-definer frame things (what's their proper name?).

Justin.