Re: PROPOSAL: harvest the RSG first

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Tom Vogt wrote:
> I'm happy that after a long time of silence finally something is happening
> to the UISG.
>
> I'm not so happy with this barrage of out-of-context questions, though. I'm
> also extremely unhappy with the suggested splintering of the list. it would
> sure help to get some critics out of here, bowie, but it would also waste so
> much effort that I don't think the project can afford it.
>
> I propose that we stop here and before starting another round of questions
> turn to the RSG draft 4 and harvest what we can. that means we should find
> out which points in there are generally agreed upon and move those into
> bowie's guide. this way we can save a lot of effort, don't have to through
> all the discussions (and flaming) again, and get a lot of flesh on the
> UISG's bones quickly.
>
> after that we can easily declare the RSG dead because it would have served
> the purpose it was invented for.
>

> agree or disagree ?

I disagree.  The purpose of the RSG in my mind was to use the open
development model to work out style guide proposals.  I believe this is
the right way to do it, and I do not see the UISG effort moving in that
direction.

I am very disappointed by Bowie's comments insisting that the development
effort be splintered.  I feel that forcing a development fork at this
early date will hamstring both groups, rather than having one healthy
one.

The RSG is just getting started, and its development is fast and working
well.  The signal-to-noise ratio on this list is annoying for development,
but I think that much of the noise will fade.  I have found you a fair and
compitent maintainer of the RSG, and I would be happy to work on a project
maintained by you.  I understand that a maintainer can get burned out, but
I would rather see you pass the torch to someone else than kill the
project, which I feel still is crucial.

I have yet to see the UISG demonstrate that it is viable, and I have many
reservations as to Bowie's ability as a development maintainer.  As to the
other to members of the UISG team, Dan has had many good points, many bad
points and a lot of chaff.  I do not recall ever seeing Bill post to this
list.

Please do not kill the RSG.  I would like to see a GNOME Style Guide.

-Gleef