take the blinders off!

Bowie Poag wrote:

> > * POS and Credit Card authorization software
> >   While these applications use files, the user will be unlikely to
> >   frequently access these menus.  Therefore, based on the principle of
> >   putting frequently accessed menus ahead of infrequently accessed
> >   menus, the menu options for accessing files should NOT be first.
>
> This kind of software is for cash registers. Cash register PC's will have
> no need for running Unix, let alone GNOME on top of it, in the first
> place.

shhhh. don't tell wal-mart. when i worked there they had the "smart"
system, an inventory-tracking database that ran on a unix os (don't know
which one), with thin cash-register client software on ibm ps/2-based
hardware.

i think this is a poor attitude to take toward your project, btw.
there's no reason _not_ to design a cash register system that looks
good. with the themeability of gtk+ and flexibility of the layers of the
gui (x + wm + gtk+ = desktop), you could easily build a cash register
system that looks attractive, fits the store decor, and enforces
corporate identity, without looking like any other stock desktop in the
world.

> Dont mean to torpedo your idea, but, the examples you gave were rather
> poor. I'd be interested in hearing other (more immediate?) examples of
> common applications which HAVE File menus, but dont need thme.

don't mean to torpedo your argument, but i can't give any examples like
that because for the most part, programs that don't require a file menu
already left it out. here are the ones i use most that are already part
of the gnome project:

yagirc
gnome-terminal
gtcd
gnomines

these are just the ones i remember. hunt through your gnome menu and
find the others. keep digging through other non-gnome apps to find even
more.
safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin