Re: File & Edit Menus

> Several more examples of applications for which a "File" menu makes no
> sense:
>
> * Terminal emulators, interactive chat clients, etc.
>   Terminal emulators and other communications software are based on
>   either "sessions" or "connections", not "files".

Disagree with you here. A good terminal emulator will have a wide variety
of interchangable emulations. /File-->Open-->IBM3161_Emulation.emu

> * Computer based instruction & testing
>   Software used for this purpose should have very minimal menus.  The
>   whole point here is to restrict the user's environment.

Nope.

File-->Open-->Lesson_6.lsn

> * POS and Credit Card authorization software
>   While these applications use files, the user will be unlikely to
>   frequently access these menus.  Therefore, based on the principle of
>   putting frequently accessed menus ahead of infrequently accessed
>   menus, the menu options for accessing files should NOT be first.

This kind of software is for cash registers. Cash register PC's will have
no need for running Unix, let alone GNOME on top of it, in the first
place.

> I think "File" should be like "Edit": present ONLY WHEN appropriate.
> That, or allow it to be replaced by "Session" or some other term when
> this is more appropriate to the application.

Dont mean to torpedo your idea, but, the examples you gave were rather
poor. I'd be interested in hearing other (more immediate?) examples of
common applications which HAVE File menus, but dont need thme.