New GNOME User Interface Guidelines document and maintainer

Dear gnome-gui-list readers,

After several unsuccessful requests for sanity in this mailing list,
and seeing that Mr. Poag has not been able to produce a substantial
amount of material for the GNOME Style Guide, the GNOME maintainers
have decided to appoint a new maintainer and moderator for the style
guide.

The new document is called the GNOME User Interface Guidelines, and
will be maintained by yours truly.  This document available on the cvs
repostory as

	gnome-libs/devel-docs/ui-guide/ui-guide.txt

It is based on the Macintosh Human Interface Guidelines and the "Rogue
GNOME style guide" by Tom Vogt.  It is in dire need of content, and I
would appreciate everyone's cooperation into making this possible.

This document is a text file formatted for Emacs outline mode, so it
should be convenient to edit it in a hierarchical fashion.  I am sorry
that at this point I do not know enough DocBook to make this document
use the normal GNOME documentation format.  I would appreciate help
for turning it into a DocBook document.

Further discussion about the User Interface Guidelines should take
place on this mailing list.  I would appreciate your suggestions and
(preferably!) patches to the ui-guide.txt document when UI suggestions
have been formalized into shape.

I have not included all the material from the Rogue style guide,
mainly because I do not think it is completely consistent, but I think
it is good content nonetheless and it should be polished for inclusion
in the User Interface Guidelines.

I would like to thank Bowie Poag for his attempt at trying to
coordinate the style guide creation process, and I would especially
like to thank Tom Vogt for producing useful content for the style
guide.

Regards,

  Federico