Re: Menu Premise (was Re: tmfkap, File, &c)

Scott Goehring wrote:

> "John" == John R Sheets <dusk@smsi-roman.com> writes:
>
> John> No, you've cut right to the point.  I think the core of the menu
> John> premise should be whether the menus should be organized
> John> according to scope, or to task.  I don't have any specific ideas
> John> yet.  Does anyone else?
>
> My experience suggests that task-oriented approaches make common tasks
> faster, but can lead to uncommon tasks being irritatingly hard to
> find.  On the other hand, scope-oriented approaches can lead to
> artificial distinctions, especially with respect to operations which
> cross established scope lines.

Makes sense.  Know of any other approaches to menu layout?

Do we dare consider a configureable option to switch between the
two?  Click a checkbox and you're in Task Menu mode...click it
again and you're in Scope-menu mode.  Make it a GNOME-wide
default, overridable on the application level.

Am I full of hooey?  (c:

John