Re: org sheet

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Wednesday, August 05, 1998 10:27 PM
Subject: org sheet

>in this mail I'll try to sum up the current status of the most important
>ongoing discussions, to allow us to start anew from a clear and common
>point.
>I believe this is necessary if we want to reach any conclusions fast.
>

>1) foot menu
>------------
>to reach some common terminology, I will join sun and others and call this
>menu "tmfkap" from now on.

How the heck do you pronounce this?  Tuh-muf-cap?  Lets pick Control,
menuprint, or even Program, but NOT Tmufkap.
>2) rename file menu
>-------------------
>we have a proposal that asks for the following:
>
>a) rename the current "File" menu to a more app-specific term without
>   changing its contents.

We have more of a proposal than that.  Sun is proposing changing from an
action category based menuing system("menus describe operators") into a
pseudo-destination based menuing system("menus describe what's been operated
on").  He has stated to me that this would imply some amount of possible
changing of menu contents.  No need to argue about this if you don't agree,
simply say the word and I'll paste out everything you need.

I may think the proposal is...uhm, yeah, but it *does* exist.

>3) screenplays and other gadgets
>we have a collection of proposals to integrate screenplays, screencaptures,
>SIGKILL emitters and other stuff somewhere in the menus. even though I
>believe these things belong into the realm of windowmanager or external
>apps, the proposals are there.

I think we have the right to GC1-4 things that Windows Managers should have.
I also think that you're gonna hafta accept that eventually we WILL need a
default standard WM.