The Style Guide

Wow.  There is an inmense flamewar going on in this list.  I had even
unsubscribed from the list and now I see the tone of voice has gotten
pretty bad in the last few days.

1. GNOME is a team project.

   This means that neither Federico nor I nor anyone else has some
   sort of "special" control or give "magic" authorities over anybody
   in this project.

   This project is managed as a team of people interested in advancing
   the state of art in computing while keeping in mind sensible goals
   (ie, producing a first quick style guide draft comes to mind, just
   like the draft Tom did).

2. Calm down and take a vacation.

   When the Subject: for your post says "This unbelievable amount of
   crap from XXX" you know you need to leave for a few days, take a
   vacation and come back with a positive mind set.

3. Can someone show me the current style guide?

   There was a nice style guide with "levels" of conformance posted a
   few days ago.  I do not remember who did it.  Could someone mail me
   that so that we can continue working?

4. We are not aiming at perfection at attempt #1

   It is ok if the Style Guide is not perfect.
   It is ok if the Style Guide is not complete.
   It is ok if the Style Guide has a few deficiencies.

   We are not trying to make GNOME perfect at attempt #1.  We have a
   lot of time, and we have very good programmers and volunteers that
   will perfectionate the system over time.  So it is fine to come
   with something "good enough but not perfect" at first.

   Please, keep that in mind.

Miguel.