Re: gnomeprint idea

sun writes:
 > Chris Jantzen wrote:
 >
 > > What about putting the gnomeprint on the far right. With Help just to
 > > the left? I like the idea particularly of the gnomeprint being
 > > generated by GNOME and having "emergency/global" features. Force Quit
 > > is nicely out of the way. Screenplays don't confuse a first time user,
 > > but are in a logical position. Maybe About could be on the gnomeprint
 > > as it would be in the "expected" position with Help right next
 > > door. Maybe it could generated window manager events. Ohh, it just
 > > sounds so right to me....
 > >
 > > Program | File | Edit ........ Help | 8'
 > >
 > > [or somesuch, I'm on a tmfkap trip right now, but File would work just
 > > as well for me...]
 >
 > disagree. this would interrupt the left->right order of scope: leftmost
 > menu would have broadest scope, and as we move right across the menus
 > the scope narrows.
 >
 > this according to my proposal, of course.

With the right justifaction, it should break the flow of scope. I
think a Foot with all the "dangerous" standard functions over on the
right would ease learning and increase comfort... I dunno... Just a
thought that seemed cool. I suppose I could could up examples pretty
easily...

Tom Vogt writes:
 > you're FAR away from the original idea there. I don't like this "gnome"
 > menu. we already have a window manager surrounding the app with stuff of his
 > own, we really don't need another layer there.

I like the idea of standard functions such as Force Quit in a familiar
menu. No, the Window Manager doesn't necessarily already do this. Gtk
applications know more about internal state and producing usable error
messages than the Window Manager presently knows.

 > the original idea was to put app-wide stuff into a menu of it's own. the
 > logical location for this menu, according to hierarchy, is the left. that
 > leads to the problems outlined in the ibm research. one possible solution is
 > to make a non-standard menu like a foot-button out of it.

I agree with the original idea. But I feel fairly strongly that
reducing it to an icon would 'hide' some important functions....

 > why don't we go and test that idea before we start deconstructing
 > it?

Sounds fair! :-)

Aside to something I saw today: My version of XEmacs (20.4, downloaded
and installed just the other week) has Exit XEmacs as the last option
on the File menu (the first menu on the left)....

 > > sounds so right to me....
 > >
 > > Program | File | Edit ........ Help | 8'
 > >
 > > [or somesuch, I'm on a tmfkap trip right now, but File would work just
 > > as well for me...]
 >
 > this is YET another thing, because as far as I understood, the intention was
 > to make the former "Program" menu the foot one. everyone go and read the
 > current (3) draft of the RSG, it's explained in there.

That's what I'm saying: Maybe making Program into a foot is a "Bad
Idea"... Testing is in order. :-)

--
chris jantzen kb7rnl =->
systems administrator |    __O   |          student