Re: tmfkap, File, &c

> Adding an additional menu to the left of the "i/o oriented" menu is
> jarring. I have had occasion to run Gnu emacs on Windows 95 and it adds a
> menu to the left of the File menu (Buffers?) and it always throws me off.
> It's not a huge problem in emacs since I usually use key-strokes but I find
> it disconcerting. tmfkap will cause a huge disparity between Gnome apps and
> non-Gnome apps for what appears (to me) to be little benefit in return.

Agreed. But keep in mind, its only jarring because its inconsistant. If
you were on a platform that ALL windows *had* something to the left of
File, it wouldnt seem the slightest bit out of place.

> On the question of renaming the "File" menu to be something else I have
> very strong feelings. Fundamentally it seems silly to change one of the few
> constants in the computer industry but there are other reasons that it
> seems wrong.

Agreed. File and Document are synonyms anyway. I fear that "Document" is
simply a politically correct way of saying "File" anyway. :) Since when is
a sound sample a document? :)

File should stand as-is. File.

Excellently well-written post, btw.
Bowie