Y.A. menu bar proposal

I'm encouraged by the direction the gnome ui is taking.  I think it will
be more sensible than what I've had to use before.  What follows is a
product of what I've learned from this list and things I have (of
course) robbed.  It's my vision of things.

The logic of the toplevel menu editor is that of descending scope.  That
is, the App menu has the broadest scope, 'Document' is next since it
treats the whole document, and 'Edit' follows since it deals with
subselections or parts within the docemunt.  The area in brackets would
be for additional menus of items which (at least optionally) operate on
parts of the document.  The menus in curly braces are 'meta' menus.
That is, they deal with aspects of the session, not directly with
document content.  If there are too few items for these menus, those
items could be relocated under 'App'.  Also, I prefer the 'Help' menu
left-justified: I don't forget about it that way.

| App  Document  Edit  [Insert  Format]  {View  Windows  Help}  |

I am in full agreement with those on this list who would like to split
Application-scope items off from the 'File' menu.  I haven't followed
the posts of the last four days well enough to know quite what people
want to put here, but these seem sensible

| App |
-------------------------
-------------------------     one, as newbies need it to be exlicit.
-------------------------
| Quit			| <-- I prefer this over 'Exit' because in my
-------------------------     mind it better suggests the result: the
			      death of a process.  'Exit' suggests
                              that it will still go on, and I can
still 're-enter' this same process.

It's not so important to me that this one be labeled 'Document' by
default, though I prefer it.  The 'Document' menu lists functions that
operate on the whole document as a rule, not parts of it.  Of course, it
will be intuitive to break our own rule in some cases.  For instance, I
would like the option to 'Print selection' from the Print dialog.

| Document |
-------------------------
| New...		|  Document access and preservation: these
| Open...		|  items are related principally tofilesystems
| Open Recent	      > | <-- I prefer this to the Microsoft way
| Save			|
| Save As...		|
-------------------------
| Acquire             > |
| Print...		|  Area for accessing and outputting to
| Print Preview...	|  non-filesystem devices.  Normally scanners
-------------------------  and printers.
| Properties...		|
-------------------------
| Close			|
-------------------------

'Edit' really has the sense of 'Copy editing', not 'Edit such-and-such'.
This menu should deal with selections in the document and parts of the
document (as with objects), not with the 'whole document'.  Presumably,
that's what the 'Document' menu is for.  And I think this is important:
the 'Edit' menu would seem to accept just about every menu function
which operates on a document.  That's a bit hyperbolic, but true enough.
However, we don't want an inordinately big 'Edit' menu, so we should
allow the interface designer to export a large group of menu items to
their own menu.  For instance, if an editor has a slew of search
options, they might be moved out of the 'Edit' menu to  their own
toplevel 'Search' menu.

| Edit |
-------------------------
-------------------------     unavailable
| Cut			| Operations on arbitrary selections
| Copy			|
| Paste			|
-------------------------     keyboard label.
| Select All		| Things which define arbitrary selections
| Invert Selection	|
| Find...		| Things which seek inside a document
| Replace...		|
| Jump To...		|

I have opinions about the meta menus too.  I'll post again with those
later.

Thanks,
Justin