GNOME menu/tmfkap

Ric Klaren wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 09:49:24PM +0200, Tom Vogt wrote:
> > Ric Klaren <ia_ric@cs.utwente.nl> wrote:
> > > One could take this a little step further... bring in some more GNOME
> > > stuff. This is something that is used in the old atari ST GEM/MiNT
> > > userinterface. Under the application menu one would have the stuff as in
> > > mockup2 together with a list of all the currently open (GNOME)
> > > applications. Which you could use to bring the selected app to focus. To
> > > illustrate:
> >
> > the idea is nice, but doesn't fit into the concept of a menu to take all the
> > app wide commands.
>
> I wasn't thinking completely app wide. Was more thinking Gnome wide :) That
> would make the link foot <-> menu a bit more consistent. IMHO also a good
> idea not to make the 'foot' menu or tmfkap whatever to big a 'garbage
> collector' for anything that didn't fit elsewhere.
>
> Making the foot/app/prog/tmfkap entry more a 'gnome' entry would probably
> make the design more consequent.

let's not do this. it introduces more than one purpose to each menu, and
causes confusion where gnome-wide commands should go.

imo we need to keep them quite separate for clarity and intuition:

the panel gnomeprint shall contain desktop-wide launching,
configuration, etc.
the application gnomeprint (tmfkap) shall contain application-wide
commands and preferences.
the next menu after tmfkap shall contain document-wide commands and
preferences.

this rigid structure, coupled with consistancy across all applications,
will result in ease of use and simple "discoverability" of the gnome
desktop and its related applications.
safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin