Re: Behavior of "exit"

Stephan Pfab <pfab@thales.sai.mathematik.uni-ulm.de> wrote:
>  2: Ask the user whether he wants any changes to be saved
>     and exit then
>
>  Used a lot, but ...
>
>  3: Save all changes in a special area, then exit. On a restart
>     ask whether user wants to continue working with his last
>     state or discard all unsaved work.
>     (Note the quick safe should not overwrite the current file,
>      so that discarding is still possible)
>
>  Yess.

I see your point, but I also see more. for example that people are used to 2
and that indeed people sometimes exit and expect their work to be saved (for
example, my mail-editor is set up that way. when I hit alt-x it saves the
file, exits and the file is sent as a mail.

I would consider 3 to be a nice option though, subject to user
configuration. possibly a G3 feature and a gnome-wide setting (i.e.
identical for all of the user's apps).

any comments? if some more people like this, I'll put it into the ideas
section and maybe further up.

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.