Re: RGSG

Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
> dealing
> >USER interface here, not system interface, right?
> >as far as a user is concerned, "file" is already bad enough. can't you hear
> >the secretaries scream "what the hell is a file? I want to write a
> letter!"?
>

> 1)  IBM research--they'll open File up first.
a) they're used to it
b) it's the left most thing. ibm research - the leftmost thing will be used
most often, no matter what the <beep> it's called.

> 2)  Screenplays make this quite clear(but they make anything clear :-)
screenplays won't (be played). it's like help - the top three hotline
questions are usually answered in detail in the online help.

> 3)  What happens in a file?  Input/Output.
try telling THAT to the secretary.

> >> Semantics and I get along *real* well :-)
> >I only own a german etymological dictionary, otherwise we could really
> play.
> >:)))
although an english one would be nice... hmmm... someone into linguistics of
you? can someone recommend an etymological dictionary for the english
language?

> >> Toolbars are tools that modify the open file.
> ><sigh>
> >but the setting whether you want pics or text in your toolbar is NOT
> related
> >to any file, it's only a property of the program itself.
> >simple proof: close all files, see, toolbar is still there.
>
> And if there are no files open the toolbar can't do anything except open a
> file or create a new one according to File menu defaults.  ;-)

but IT IS STILL THERE. it can be reconfigured. it will be there no matter
WHICH file you open.

step down from your file-centric view. look at the app the way a
know-nothing user (knu?) sees it.

> >> that it's not SOOOO divergent that we need to change it to save users the
> >> confusion.
> >weird, I talked with several people today (you remember?) and the general
> >consent was that the ONLY (can I stress that? O-N-L-Y, there) argument for
> >leaving things like "Exit" in file is that it's what people are used to.
>
> Ask a user what they'd do if they were done dealing with all their word
> files.  They'll say "File, exit".  Consistent with the input/output
> interface.

you are right about the first thing. your are WILDELY GUESSING at the
reason. may I offer another two possibilities? a) because that's how it
usually works on windoze. b) because it's in the leftmost menu which (ibm
research) they'll look into first.

> >the argument gets much stronger for preferences (app-wide, not
> >file-specific). these are usually scattered all over the place currently,
> >some programs have them in "edit", some in "options", some even in "view".
> >where do they belong? in a program menu, sure as hell.
>
> Settings belong in an *edit* menu, no?  What do you do...you edit
> settings...

<sigh>

forget it.

I'm really not going to discuss this in the amount of space it's taking up
currently. the line of argumentation has been made clear a couple of times,
everyone seems to agree. if you don't follow along, maybe it's time to
accept the majority vote in this one.

--
The universe does not have laws -- it has habits, and habits can be broken.