Dictionary (was Re: RGSG)

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Tom Vogt wrote:
> although an english one would be nice... hmmm... someone into linguistics of
> you? can someone recommend an etymological dictionary for the english
> language?

To my knowledge, nothing beats the etymologies in the Oxford English
Dictionary <http://www.oed.com>.  Unfortunately the cost is a bit high,
it's certainly worth trying to convince your local library to purchase.

The twenty volume printed set is $3,000(USD), I can't find the price in
Pounds, Marks or Euros, but I'm sure it's up there. This is by far the
best version, each word often has longer etymologies than most
dictionaries will offer definitions.

The CD-ROM is $350(USD), I am not sure how complete it is.

They are currently working on an online version (probably subscribtion
based like the Encyclopaedia Britannica), but there's no indication of
when it will appear.

-Gleef