Re: RSG, draft three

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>
To: gnome-gui-list@gnome.org <gnome-gui-list@gnome.org>
Date: Monday, August 03, 1998 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: RSG, draft three

>Dan Kaminsky <effugas@best.com> wrote:
>> For example, if I hit control C, and whatever text is selected isn't
copied
>> into the clipboard, I consider that a *BUG*.  I don't care what the
>> programmer says, all I care about is THATS A BUG AND I WANT IT GONE.  By
>> extension, I think that any File menu that doesn't include an Exit option
>> will be considered wrong by the user.  The user will see this as a bug,
>> complain, bitch, and then return to his comfortable monopoly.
>
>the last point: do you KNOW that (how?) or are you ASSUMING? remember the
>interface hall of shame quote.

I put copy/paste in a different category than EVERYTHING else I've
suggested.  It's something I find so critical in GUIs that it's the only
thing in my life that has made me stand up and walk away from a unix box.
(I was in the middle of a deadline'd computer programming project, I hit
Copy on a batch of perl code in netscape, then paste in the CDE text editor,
and nothing happened.  What'd I do?  I walked away and went to my nice
consistent NT interface.)

Maybe that's just me.  Maybe I'm a freak.  But I didn't feel like typing all
that perl.