RGSG Proposal: Button Application Interface

NOTE: This is a proposed modification to the RGSG, the numbering assumes
that it is part of my earlier structural proposal, but the proposal stands
on its own.  It is an attempt to give a clear definition of how the primary
application interface of a program should work for those programs which use
buttons as the interface.

Of the three styles of application interfaces (menubars, buttons, or
popups), this one is in my opinion, the most expendable.  However, several
of the older GNOME apps use an interface like this, so it should be
addressed, even if to say "We don't like those anymore".

3.1,2 Button Application Interface
----------------------------------

This subsection applies only to programs which use buttons as their primary
interface.  Some applications will use a buttonbar or toolbar to augment a
different primary interface.  These applications need not follow these
requirements, but the requirements of their primary interface.

C3 - Button applications can use an organized button bar / toolbar, or more
spread out buttons mimicing a dialog.

C1 - The button to exit the program must be in the top left or bottom right
of the window.  This button must be clearly marked "Exit" either by text on
the button or a tooltip.  No other location or name is acceptable.  [Note,
if we decide all program exit functions should be called Quit, this should
change to.  The point is that the word should be the same for all
interfaces, without deviation.]

[ Two choices for this bit here.  First, a slightly rephrased original: ]

C1 - A button must be present somewhere labeled "Help".  If the help for
that application does not cointain "About" information (see section __),
then an additional "About" button must also be provided.

[ Second, my subproposal: ]

C1 - A button must be present clearly marked "About" either by text on the
button or a tooltip.  This button will access the About information (see
section __).

C3 - If the application does not provide separate help, it should give a very
brief description of usage in the About window, after the about information.

C2 - If the application provides help, it must be accessed through a
button clearly labeled "Help" either by text on the button or a tooltip.

[ Personally, I think my subproprosal better addresses the lightweight nature
of button applications.  What do you guys think? ]

[ Back to the main flow of the section: ]

C3 - Any "Help" or "About" button should be in the top left of the window,
or immediately next to the "Exit" button.

C2 - All buttons must be labeled with a name appropriate to their function,
either in text written on the button, or in a tooltip.