misconceptions

i was going to call it quits and go to bed, but there are a few more
items here which, from the way you've presented them, shows me you've
misunderstood the concepts i've proposed, so i'm back to set the record
straight...

Dan Kaminsky wrote:

> I don't care about numbers.  I care about *fleshed out proposals*.
>
> What do you say to:
>
> 1)  What's excluded by Program?  File implies I/O(you take a document inside
> or out of a physical file), but Program?  ANYTHING could go inside of
> Program.

see, you've completely overlooked the fact that nobody wants "just
anything" to go inside of program; we want *specific* items to go inside
program ("tmfkap"). these specific items are commands whose influence is
application-wide, not dedicated to just one document in the application,
not just one text-entry box, not just one paragraph with the funny
font... the _whole program_ will be affected. users will learn this
quickly and get spoiled by it.

> 2)  So where are you going to PUT program, anyway?

to the left of the file (or whatever) menu. you saw my mockups, right?

i mean, okay, so i might get voted down on the foot icon idea, but the
placement is right.

> If it doesn't kill File,
> by your own admission it doesn't belong in the left side,

did i miss the post where he said that?

> and by your own
> admission you don't want to kill file.  But, if it doesn't belong on the
> left side, and if it doesn't kill File, it really doesn't get most of the
> advantages "everyone" here seems to want.

that's why it should go on the left. :)

> 3)  The research.  Ask some users what they do if there's no Quit.  They
> control-alt-delete.  On a Linux box, that's instant shutdown right now.
> (That needs to change.)

wot, did somebody say we should get rid of quit? where was that stated?

btw, when i was maintaining the lan in a physics lab back in college,
anybody asked that question would respond "command-option-escape." :P

> 4)  Lets say somebody *disagrees* with you about what's a Program menu thing
> and what's a File menu thing.  Now users are going to have to hunt back and
> forth "I wonder where THIS app decided to put print"

we're one step ahead of you here, dan: on the gnome-gui-list, we're
fleshing out a gnome style guide right now to answer questions like
that.:)

i cast my vote for the document/file/picture menu. "print picture" makes
a complete, clear sentence and therefore makes logical sense.

safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin