Re: skeleton

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Tom Vogt wrote:

> I've taken a look into bowie's "skeleton". here are my comments and
> suggestions:
>

> I like the idea of sorting within the chapters by compliancy levels. I'll
> steal that for mine. :)

Tom,

A) Its not "my" skeleton. Ugh. I hate it when people keep referring to the
   UISG V2.0 like I own it or something. :)

B) Please dont think of it as "stealing" an idea. We're all hammering away
   at the same goals here, so, whats "mine" is yours, and whats yours is
   mine. We all should share equally, freely, and liberally. Not
   infrequently, secretly, and sparingly. :) Much of what ALL of us have
   come up with is directly due to the exchange of everyone's work.

   Just between you and me, I figure both of these projects stand a good
   chance of merging anyway.

> I do not like the idea of additional "!" and "?" points. everything in "!"
> should already be covered by C1, anything in "?" by C4 or C5.

Point taken - But I still believe that there must be a few (very, very
few) mandated construction guidelines at each level. Once we're able to
flesh out what we'd like to do with the Compliancy Levels in the UISG,
we'll bat em around and establish a comprimise. Hows that?

> I would instead propose an additional point called  "notes" or whatever,
> for things like "if you use the gnome_whatever_widget, all c1 to c2
> features will be taken of automatically" or "if you leave the gtk defaults
> alone it this point, you are automatically c1 through c3 compliant".
> I know that by strict structure this belongs into the later chapter of
> examples and templates, but I think while reading the styleguide, most
> coders will think like "geez, how am I gonna do all that?". we should give
> them a few hints that basically say "it's not all that hard", so they keep
> on reading.

These provisions already exist in the UISG Skeleton. Go ahead and borrow
from the, as suggested above.

> other than that there isn't really much to talk about yet. bowie, what else
> do you keep for yourself? :)

Considering I havent had a social life (outside of having dinner at an
IHOP with a friend and some girl saturday night) for the past 9 days or
so, remarkably much. I've got alot of ideas buzzing around in my head that
need to be unleashed on paper pretty soon, as we approach the second UISG
Conference on the 16th.

Till then, shhh.. :)

Bowie