Re: To answer your question about the upcoming Style-Guide...

On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 05:04:17PM +0200, Tom Vogt wrote:
> > that's what the plus means ...  800x600 and MORE
>
> but something looking cool on 800x600 will be absolutely tiny on 1920x1600.

not if you increase fonts ... so this is not app specific

> > > that's why I'd say "resize"
> > they will be hanging around if we resize ... apples won't be able to resize
>
> again, you're right.
> what about the really high resolutions? sizing up should be much less of a
> problem than sizing down.

apples will most likely be a set of widgets similiar to apps, so they will most
likely act just like normal apps ...

this is more in the future, but yes there might be a "LARGE" hint passed to
the applets so that they can use up more space without feeling guilty ...

but it's not on my priority right now ... most people still use 1000-1200
resolutions and on those the panel is just right ... on 2000 resolution it will
be fairly small but I guess we can easily deal with that later ... it's not
a pressing issue ... and there are other issues that need solving now ...

> > if they are afraid to tinker then they WILL NOT TINKER ...
> exactly. but they STILL might want to have an easy way to their favorite
> apps. they'll be just too afraid to try out how it might work. that's why I
> say we've got to put it right in their faces.

unless they set it up .. it will never be right for them .. if they don't tinker
putting some weird config in their face won't make them ... making it easy to
add and customize will make them tinker with it ... and solve the problem

> > in gnome we have a small button called "add" by a menu entry ... I guess that's
> > suggestive enough
> maybe it is. none of my test-people thought so, apparently. none tried.
>
> I'm not saying I'm right here. I just suggest that I MIGHT.

hmmm ... that's the first thing somebody I tried it on tried .. the add button
... but it's people like ... wow what is this ... let's press it ... that will
tinker ... others will not tinker no matter how much you "force" them to ...
and it makes no sense loosing sleep over it

> > such people won't figure out what they can do even if some default config is
> > made for them
>
> don't put them down. these people aren't stupid, just computer-illiterate.
> if they have an interest AND the app is newbie-friendly, they'll figure out.
> the same way you have people that will toast you in quake any day, but don't
> know bits from bytes.

I'm not putting them down ... my mom is computer illiterate ... she doesn't
know anything about computers ... she WILL NOT tinker unless she has used the
same setup for a year or so ... such people don't care about tinkering ...
they also don't care they have to go thrugh 3 menus to get their application

I will make it as easy as I think it should be to make it customizable ...
but I will not put any weird config as default ... since I can never get
such a config right .. the best bet is to put the most plain vanilla setup
out there and let people who care tinker with it ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: