Re: [gnome-flashback] PANEL_APPLET_OUT_PROCESS_FACTORY

Thanks Dmitry;

Ubuntu 18.04 version of gnubiff has (my) patch to port it to in-process
applet

Yes, the version I'm looking at does have that patch in it.
and it is using the in-process applet. I was only asking about
PANEL_APPLET_OUT_PROCESS_FACTORY because I thought it might be a way of avoiding
the X crash and logout. But Alberts Muktupāvels told me about
'gnome-panel --replace' as a way to avoid the logout.

In Ubuntu ≥ 18.10, GNOME support was dropped completely

That's a shame from my perspective, as I like Gnome 2 and having the gnubiff
applet in the panel. What Ive become used to, I guess. Even if Im the only
person using gnubiff anymore :-). I am very ignorant
about the coding details and practices, but since Ive recently retired, I
thought that I'd take a look at why gnubiff was crashing when run in the panel.

Also, it would be more useful if you uploaded the .crash file using
apport-bug instead of simply attaching it. This way it would be
automatically retraced on Launchpad.

OK, extreme ignorance on my part.
I have run

apport-bug /var/crash/_usr_bin_gnome-panel.1000.crash

But I dont know where that went to.

One other minor bug with gnubiff is that when adding the Gnubiff applet
to the panel using the 'Add to Panel...' menu, the gnubiff icon is not shown.
Instead we get a 'No entry' icon.

In

.pc/panel_applet_inprocess.patch/src/
org.gnome.panel.applet.GnubiffApplet.panel-applet.in.in

and

src/org.gnome.panel.applet.GnubiffApplet.panel-applet.in.in

Icon=@PKGDATADIR@/gnubiff.png

does not find the icon.

But

Icon=gnubiff