Re: [gnome-flashback] Ubuntu install dependency issues

On 11/18/2015 07:28 AM, Jim Ewert wrote:
It's not my corrupted install.

Yes, it is. You have held broken packages as indicated by the terminal output. I made suggestions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2220264&page=7&p=13391060#post13391060

And I also posted in your new forum thread here:

I got the same error with gnome-session on a Live USB.  gnome-session-flashback wasn't available.

That's because gnome-session-flashback is in the Universe repos and universe is not enabled in a live session:

lance lance-desktop:~$ apt-cache policy gnome-session-flashback
gnome-session-flashback:
  Installed: 1:3.8.0-1ubuntu12.2
  Candidate: 1:3.8.0-1ubuntu12.2
  Version table:
 *** 1:3.8.0-1ubuntu12.2 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/universe i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1:3.8.0-1ubuntu11 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe i386 Packages

Looks like a packaging issue or is not supported on 14.04 LTS.

It's not a packaging issue. I'm running flashback w/metacity on this very computer:

lance lance-desktop:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Release:    14.04
Codename:    trusty
lance lance-desktop:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
gnome-fallback

Who is supporting these, isn't this the project?

It's not a support issue. You have held broken packages.

Lance

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 6:52 AM, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57 ubuntu com> wrote:
Hi Jim,

> I appreciate the reply and had already tried that.  upgrade and
> dist-upgrade.

Oh, I misread the log message above. You currently have some packages
broken, that's why you cannot install anything.

Try using "apt-get install -f", or, if that doesn't help, removing the
mentioned packages and installing them again.

Also, it is not an issue with gnome-flashback packages, but rather
with your own system.