Re: [gnome-flashback] Low contrast in gnome-panel

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 9:09 PM, Dmitry Shachnev <mitya57 ubuntu com> wrote:
Hi Alberts,

>> With gnome-panel 3.16 and Adwaita theme, the standard applets are lacking
>> contrast: the text is gray on light-gray (with light theme) or gray on
>> dark-gray (with dark theme).
>>
>> This happens with all standard applets (like menu, clock and window list)
>> but not with i.e. netspeed. A screenshot is attached.
>
> That is because out-process applets does not use / does not see theme from
> gnome-panel.

Menu, clock and user applets are in-process, aren't they? And netspeed
is out-of-process, but displays correctly.

No. Netspeed is "incorrectly" displayed.

>> Am I the only one getting this? Is this expected?
>
> Yes and yes.

Sebastian confirmed the issue, so I would say "no and yes" :-)

Oh, sorry... "No and yes" is correct answer.

> But sooner or later there will be changes to gnome-panel and applets styling
> in code and it will require updating themes too.
>
> As tmp fix maybe libpanel-applet library should include same Adwaita.css and
> HighContrast.css that are included/loaded by gnome-panel? That might/should
> fix netspeed problem.

As I said, there is no problem with netspeed. The problem is with
built-in applets.

In gnome-panel/Adwaita.css "theme_unfocused_fg_color" is used as color. So "correct" color is that one you see with in-process / built-in applets.

That color is used since this commit:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-panel/commit/gnome-panel/Adwaita.css?id=7c1607feed985a5fd8d7bff46605ef10bb2a9a1d

If you have time then you could try experiment by using other color "names" available here:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/gtk/theme/Adwaita/_colors-public.scss

Maybe I'm not understanding something?