Re: [gnome-flashback] State of Gnome Flashback

Hi,

On 25/05/14 16:00, Philipp Kaluza wrote:
Hi Alberts, hi team,

I hereby open the floor for discussions, and am hoping for a slightly
better response than my February 21st mail. :)

The following points are mostly my thoughts about gnome-panel itself. I
do not really know anything about gnome-settings-deamon and the issues
that come with it. Not what the problems are and how to solve them.
Maybe Dmitry can shed some light on this?

# Gnome Panel

I would suggest to make a release and version it 3.8.1. I agree with
Dmitry, there are currently only bug fixes in git. I just build master
on my notebook with Ubuntu 13.10 and gtk+3.8 and it builds well. I just
talked with Alberts an he agrees.

After the release we should branch of 3.8 and open master for further
development. Alberts has a _LOT_ of commits in his repository on github.
I have in parts reviewed the code and he has a done a lot of useful
things. I would suggest to start merging the non breaking changes such
as code cleanup and removal of dead code into the master on git.gnome.org.

As a next step we could merge the gnome-applets into the panel. Alberts
has done a lot of work on this with two main goals:

 * Convert those applets that are currently handled as
   internal applets into to real applets.
 * Copy all applets from gnome-applets into gnome-panel.

I have been testing this patch yesterday. And it works rather well with
a few issues that can be solved until the patch is merged. The question
is thus more a political one. Should be do that? Dmitry what do you
think about this approach?

The next point would be the removal of multi-screen support, as it has
been removed from gtk+3.10. Alberts also has patches for that.

Then we could bump libpanel-applet API to version 5 and merge Alberts
gconf patches.

Cheers everybody, keep fighting the good fight,
  Philipp

P.S: Philipp could you increase the mail sending size of this mailing
list to more than 40kb?

Kind regards
Sebastian